Best Uses: Lakes, ocean bays, mild whitewater (up to class II)
Brand: Sea Eagle
Number of Paddlers: 1, 2 or 3
Specs: Length 14’ 9” (exterior), 14′ 2″ (interior), Width 3′ (exterior), 1′ 3″ (interior), Weight 38 lbs., Load Capacity 796 lbs
Accessories Included: Large removable skeg, 2 high capacity self-bailing drain valves, front & rear spray skirts, 6 D-rings, bow and stern grab lines, nylon carry bag, separate high pressure drop stitch floor (increases rigidity), repair kit, 3 seats, 3 paddles, air foot pump
Kayak Material: 1000 Denier Reinforced with wide overlap seams (hull material is completely resistant to sun and saltwater)
Pros: Faster than the other Sea Eagle inflatable kayaks, can hold a lot of weight, enough room to fit three people comfortably but can also be paddled solo or tandem, lightweight, 2 closable self-bailing valves, versatile, decent amount of storage space (below spray skirts as well as rope lacing for storage above), very rigid drop stitch floor, really good tracking (with use of skeg), quick set-up time (8 minutes), excellent for families or for those transporting lots of gear
Cons: Definitely needs the skeg for good tracking in open water (not so much a con as to be expected)
More In-Depth Info
The 465 FastTrack is the larger version of the 385 FastTrack inflatable kayak that has become so popular. This longer version of the FastTrack is completely ideal for families or for those who will be paddling with large amounts of gear.
The 465 FT is almost fifteen feet long and can sit up to three people. I would think you could also easily fit two adults and two small children (you could remove the third seat and the kids could sit on the floor).
This makes it ideal for families who would like to go out kayaking together and keep everyone in the same kayak.
As the 465 FastTrack is brand new out for Sept. 2010, I have never paddled it myself. I do however own the 385 FastTrack and would imagine it paddles very much the same.
The FastTrack is known to be able to pick up some excellent speed as well as provide great tracking in open water with the use of the extra large skeg.
In my opinion there are a few things that make the FastTrack special and stand out from many others inflatable kayaks in the market. They are:
- the unique design allows for speed and good tracking
- it is extremely light weight for the size – at 44 lbs. the 465 FT can still be easily transported and carried anywhere
- it has a large weight capacity (796 lbs.)
- it offers versatility – it will paddle best in flat open water (lakes and ocean bays) but can be paddled in whitewater with up to class II rapids as well (simply remove the skeg and open the self-bailing drain valves)
What Makes the FastTrack Fast?
The 385 and the 465 FastTrack are new inflatable kayak models for Sea Eagle (as of 2010) and they were designed quite differently from their other inflatable kayak models.
They have a unique shape that allows them to glide through open water with decent speed. Sea Eagle states that the FastTrack is able to pick up better speeds for three reasons:
- There is a drop stitch outside keel at the bow which provides buoyancy and helps to stop the natural yaw of an inflatable kayak.
- There is a removable rear skeg that helps to keep the kayak heading straight.
- It comes with a separate very rigid drop stitch floor which increases the overall rigidity of the kayak and creates side chines under the pontoons which enhances the overall paddling performance. In fact the floor is so rigid that this kayak could even be paddled as a stand-up paddle board.
The skeg greatly helps with the tracking of this inflatable kayak and you would not want to paddle in open water without it. Therefore it is important to make sure the skeg is attached properly and that you protect it when it is not in use.
Remember to remove it after you have deflated your kayak so that it does not get knocked loose or bent when rolled up and stored away.
Tip: The rigid floor greatly helps with the performance of this kayak. When you are inflating the floor make sure to get it as solid as you can as this will help with the strength of the skeg for the best tracking.
For more information on the FastTrack kayaks please see our review of the Sea Eagle 385 FastTrack.
The Sea Eagle 465 FastTrack has 7 different package options to choose from.
- 2-Person – There is the option of purchasing the 465 FastTrack as a tandem model. This is a great way to get the longer kayak for a cheaper price. It comes with two inflatable seats, two paddles, a waterproof bag and a foot pump.
- Deluxe Package – This option comes with three inflatable seats, three paddles and a foot pump.
- Pro Package – This package comes with three tallback seats, three longer paddles, two stern bags, a waterproof bag and a foot pump.
- Pro Carbon Package – Similar to the Pro Package but comes with three high-end carbon-fibre paddles.
- Fishing Package – Then there is the fishing package which comes with two fishing modules which include swivel chairs, two paddles, two stern bags and a foot pump.
- QuikSail Package – Comes with three tailback seats and the QuikSail which will turn your kayak into a sailing vessel in less than one minute.
- Green Machine Package – Comes with two inflatable seats, two paddles, the QuikSail as well as a solar panel and electric motor – gives you three environmentally friendly ways to power your kayak.
This first video is of Cecil Hodge (Sea Eagle President) paddling his 385 FastTrack. You can get a good idea of the speed of the FastTrack as well as some good shots of the inside of the kayak in this video.
This next video is one of our own. It shows me paddling the Sea Eagle 385 FastTrack solo. It is exactly the same as the 465 FastTrack except it is slightly shorter and weighs a little bit less.
I think the 465 FastTrack will be especially popular with those who want to bring their kids out paddling with them or for those who want to paddle with lots of gear and their dog or a friend… it is a really convenient size that can offer a lot of versatility.
There are two price options for the 465 FastTrack… the higher priced option gives you seats with better back support as well as longer paddles and two gear bags. I find that Sea Eagle always gives you a lot for your money and it is no different with the 465 FastTrack package.
I personally really love the FastTrack and it has become the inflatable kayak that I now use most. I would recommend it for those who plan to paddle mostly in flat water such as lakes and ocean bays.
Although it can handle some mild whitewater I would not recommend it strictly for whitewater use. If you plan to be mostly paddling in rivers then I would suggest taking a look at the Sea Eagle Explorer kayaks such as the Sea Eagle 420X which still offers a lot of room but is far better suited for whitewater paddling.
Where To Buy
You are able to purchase the Sea Eagle FastTrack directly from the manufacturer which typically means cheaper prices and very often good sales.
Also you get to take advantage of their great 3-year warranty as well as their 180-day risk free trial. If you are not satisfied with your kayak for any reason you can return it within 180 days of purchase for a full refund as long as the kayak is in good condition.